Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hope

"All my life I've been searching, face by face, and day by day. I've walked a hundred shorelines, but all my footprints have been taken by the waves. I've trusted and I've loved, I've reached out time and time again. I've lied and I've betrayed, I've whispered evil things into the wind. Everything I've ever seen, or felt, or heard has left me with no purpose, or meaning, or reason. But were I to curse God and die, that would be the ultimate treason. Well I feel so dead, even though I'm alive. It's the things that I have done, that I could never deny. I met a man the other day, as he pulled me aside, he told a story with a fire burning in his eyes. He said I know who you are, and I know where you've been. I've walked the same shorelines, and I've felt the same wind. I've lied and betrayed, and I've said evil things. I put my trust in the world, and I know what it brings. I remember my wife, and the love that we shared, and the smile on her face, and the smell of her hair. On the day we met, I was dead inside, but then she spoke these words, fire burning in her eyes, 'The Lord knows who you are, and he knows where you've been. He keeps an eye on the shores, and an ear to the wind. Though you make your bed in the pit of hell, He'll stay by your side, and He'll love you still.' Well it's been five years now that she's been gone; I'm giving you her words, so you might carry them on. This is love, this is hope."

-"Hope" by Hands

No comments:

Post a Comment