Friday, January 8, 2010

Understanding

There once was a terrible thing that happened in my life. Because of this event, I was forced to reckon with and consider parts of life that before had only been something that happened on the news or in the movies. Death. Death is without a doubt the most bizarre thing to think about. Everyone must face it; no one likes to think about it; it's scary, yet intriguing; there is no escape from it; and it is never truly comprehensible. When death hits close to home, it raises countless questions. One of these questions for me is the question of understanding. Many people have told me, "You may never understand why." Others say, "God can tell you why if he wants to, but he doesn't have to." My question is - Why am I supposed to accept that I can't understand? But then someone showed a verse of the Bible to me. It says, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter" (John 13:7). In context, this verse is referring to the time when Jesus washed the disciples feet at the Lord's supper, and Christ was alluding to the time when he would be betrayed and taken to the cross to die and then be raised 3 days later. I had heard/read this before, but in regards to what I was facing, this verse hit me in the face. God tells me that I may not know now, but I will be able to understand later. I do not have to accept that I may never understand, but I have to know that God will reveal his perfect understanding to me when he is ready to do so. Patience. By the way, what is humanity's greatest problem? Death. Why not follow the one person who conquered it?

No comments:

Post a Comment